? ??????????????Spring Showers? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.4 (7 Ratings)??7 Grabs Today. 10101 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????????????????????????Barbie? ????? ?? ???Rating: 3.3 (272 Ratings)??7 Grabs Today. 17117 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just when I wanted to go to bed early!

I had just gotten my pajamas on last night and was taking my pills when John called me into the bedroom. He said "look at me," and so I looked. He had sweat pouring down his face and when I touched him he was clammy like he had just stepped out of the shower. I asked why he was clammy and he said that he just did not feel right. I had this thought pop into my mind about the scene from Steel Magnolias where Julia Roberts is getting her hair done (It looke gorgeous) and then she started convulsing and sweating profusely. She was having a hypoglycemic reaction (low blood sugar). So I asked him to check his blood sugar and he had me get his monitor and get it ready for him. It ended up being 77, normal for the rest of us but low for him. So I went to find the candy corn I had just bought that morning for the kids (okay and me too) and gave him a large handful. He was not really acting like himself and I asked him if he wanted a drink of juice (again the movie in my head) and he said he wanted a glass of icy water. When he finished eating the candy he decided to go upstairs and was unsteady on his feet but made it upstairs. He was telling his mom what was going on and told me to call 911. I tried the phone next me and the battery was dead. So I went downstairs to use the phone and try to find my computer to look up my suspicions. He then called me and said not to call. So I just looked for my computer and took it upstairs.

Then he decided to have his mom call 911 and she went into her bedroom to make the call but she was not giving them the correct information so I had to get on the phone and describe the situation. It seemed like forever waiting for the ambulance to arrive, a lot of dead air on the line waiting with the dispatcher. They finally arrived, 2 EMTs shortly followed by 2 Sheriff/Paramedic vehicles with 3 personnel. They came in helped John, and decided that he needed to be seen in the ER because his blood pressure was way too high 220/160 (I think).

I followed behind in the car so I had transportation home and was so relieved when I got there that he came by ambulance. You see, if you come by ambulance you get right into a room immediately, if you come by personal vehicle and the waiting room is full, it make take a while even upwards of an hour or more to get into a room to be seen.

Well they ran tests, put him on monitors, and drew blood. They call came back as no problems at all with his heart, his blood pressure eventually went down, and the diagnosis was hypoglycemia. It was a record time for us in the ER only 2 hours. We are usually in there at least 5 hours if not more.

Today he seems to be doing well and neighbors and ward members have called to check on us and make sure that everything is okay.

I am happy to report that it was really nice to go into the ER and not have them look at us like we are seeking drugs, because he was not in any kind of pain and did not need any meds. Also his nurse was an old schoolmate of mine and it was fun catching up with her a little bit. Ended up being a decent visit to the ER.

1 comments:

temaire said...

Sheesh Pen! Your life is crazy! I am so glad that he is okay. Poor John! Now you know that if anyone tells you anything negative about Steel Magnolias (how could they?) you can point out that it was a reference for you with your husbands poor health! :) Good luck!