? ??????????????Spring Showers? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.4 (7 Ratings)??7 Grabs Today. 10101 Total Grabs. ???
???Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ???????????????????????????????Barbie? ????? ?? ???Rating: 3.3 (272 Ratings)??7 Grabs Today. 17117 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Friday, July 25, 2008

How I deal with husband's pancreatitis

I have many people ask me how I can be so positive with my husband being sick, well it is very difficult, but if I am not, I would have to be institutionalized. We have lost count of how many hospital stays he has had in the last 8 years and definitely how many trips to the ER. We are recognizing nurses, doctors, techs, etc., in the ER now, I feel like I should be working there. In fact the first time John was hospitalized for it, he was in the hospital for 11 days and I would stay there all day (and night) with him. I would go down to the grill and one of the workers there keep giving me an employee discount. I think because he saw me every day that he figured I worked there. Hehehe.

Well I have learned so much about the disease but there is so much more to learn. When John had his first attack in 2000 the doctors kept referring to the books (doctors DO NOT KNOW everything!). This is not a common disease, especially in Utah. When he had his 2nd attack and was again hospitalized for another 11 days, we met his primary care physician. He had done his residency in Las Vegas (Alcoholics galore) and so was very familiar with the disease. He has been able to have John stay in the hospital for only a few days instead of weeks (except the last stay in February).

John has had many procedures to check for reasons why and he has baffled the docs a few times. His common bile duct has been scarred over and they have sliced it open, drained out the nasty thick bile that was backing up, he would feel great, and then a week later he would be sick again. There was one time when the doctor had done a sphincterectomy (cutting open the scar tissue) at the common bile duct that he had to stop what he was doing and look at the computer to make sure that he had done the procedure before, because it had completely scarred over. They have put in several stents and even done a few nerve blocks.

He had his last nerve block on July 3 and so far the pain is diminished but he is still getting sick every morning and not being able to function like a normal human being. We were hoping that blocking the pain would take away the nausea but it has not. We will see the doctor in a few weeks and find out what to do now or not.

It gets frustrating but I have learned that there are reasons for trials in our lives and that we need to rely on the Lord and he will get us through this. I know that having this trial it has made me stronger spiritually and I cannot ask for a greater blessing. John and I have said many times that we are glad that it is him sick and not one of the kids. I know many people have to deal with sick children but it would break my heart not to be able to kiss the "booboo" away for them. I am grateful for all of my blessings and thank the Lord every day for them.

2 comments:

Tasharoo said...

Penny~
My SIL has pancreatitis. One thing that helps her is staying away from anything with hydrogenated fats, for example, butter instead of margarine. She is a kook and has a ton of other things wrong with her. She is a recovering alcholic/druggie and still smokes...like an idiot! So I don't know if the hydrogenated fat thing is for the panc or something else! Good Luck! I know this is a very hard disease!

penb said...

Thanks, I appreciate that.